The SOWN Plant Guard Water Saver has been designed to protect young plants from wind, weeds and herbicide over-spray.
However the most appealing advantage of the Plant Guard is its ability to provide a reservoir in which to hold water and direct it directly to the roots of the plant.
The Plant Guard is made from surplus, rejected or out-dated corflute election signs. You'd be surprised how many there are. Or then again …
The method of construction of the Plant Guard is as follows:
- Cut each panel lengthways into two (900 x 300mm).
- Mark the length of each panel at 200, 400, 600, and 800mm.
- Fold at the marks. This creates a box 200 x 200 wide x 300mm high, with an overlap of 100mm.
- Fasten the flap with two self-tappers.
- Water the largish hole till very sloppy, plant, and push the box into the mud around the plant to a depth of about 100mm, build up soil to seal the outside and mulch over the soil (not inside the box).
- After 48 hours, all you need is around three litres of water into the box, once per week.
Another water wise idea from Brian Hallinan, phone: 3289 3732