Home - Save Our Waterways Now

Activities in a watercourse

Important information for members

Regardless of the ownership, the Department of Natural Resources and Water requires prior approval before any 'activities' can be undertaken within a watercourse. But what are 'activities'?

The Water Act 2000 Act says that a person must not carry out any of the following unless they have a permit:

  • destroying vegetation
  • excavating
  • placing fill

If you wish to undertake activities in a watercourse, you need a Riverine Protection Permit (RPP).

Links to the form and information about RPPs as well as information sheets are provided below.